/

Description

With Pontedera’s strategic position near the meeting of the Era and Arno rivers, it was fought over by Pisa, Lucca and Florence, and had an important role in trade since the Renaissance. It has been inhabited since the Neolithic. The first mention of the community of Ponte Herae is in a document from 1171. The story of Pontedera has changed much over the years, but the greatest push in development of the city came in the early twentieth century from engineer Rinaldo Piaggio, owner of a large aeronautical construction company that moved here from Genoa. World War II brought the city of Pontedera to its knees, but when the fighting ended, the city put its stock in the driving force behind Piaggio, and converted its production into motorbike manufacturing.
Since 2000, the Museo della Fondazione Piaggio has housed to the company’s older models as well as an extensive historical archive. Also noteworthy in economic terms is the Polo Sant’Anna Valdera, an important robotics research centre.



Vedi Pontedera in:

Information
Associazione culturale Sete Sóis Sete Luas
per conto dell’Unione Valdera
viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 82
56025 Pontedera
t. +39 388 7583081
www.rmvaldera.it

Geographical area
Valdarno Inferiore

Population
over 29.000

Distance from Pisa
26 km