/

Description

Over the last fifty years the history of Ponsacco has been very eventful, in concomitance with the increase in numbers of local artisanal firms specialising in the production of furniture that is exported all over Italy, such as the Pancina and Ponsacchina models. Currently, however, like in the town of Cascina, the number of furniture manufacturing works is decreasing since this sector has lost part of its economic importance.
Being on the border between the Republics of Pisa and Florence, Ponsacco has nonetheless been the setting of several important events, such as the destruction of its ancient walls by the Florentines, followed by the town’s annexation.
Of note in Ponsacco is the Madonna della Tosse oratory and the church of San Giovanni which contains a baptismal font and a fourteenth-century bell from the town of Appiano.
Not far from Ponsacco is the beautiful fortified Medici Villa of the Marquis Niccolini in Camugliano.

Information
Comune di Ponsacco
Piazza Valli, 8
56038 Ponsacco
tel. + 39 0587 738211
www.comune.ponsacco.pi.it

Geographical area
Valdera

Population
over 15.000

Distance from Pisa
27 km

/

Culture

Bell tower of the church of San Giovanni Evangelista
Built between 1862 and 1873 in neoclassic style, the bell tower is heavily tilted to one side due to a gross mistake made by the master builder who caused the tower to move from its foundation centre.

Church of San Giovanni Evangelista
Over almost five centuries, from 1374 to 1836, this church was amply modified and reconstructed several times. The distinctive element on the outside, is the nineteenth-century slightly leaning bell tower, while inside the church displays several noteworthy artworks, in particular the polychrome terracotta Madonna by Benedetto da Maiano, the fresco by Giuseppe Bacchini depicting the theological Virtues, and the two mid-nineteenth century frescoes by Ezio Marzi, illustrating the Attempted Martyrdom of Saint John the Evangelist and the Vision of the Apocalypse.

Oratory of the Madonna della Tosse
Located in Piazza della Repubblica, the oratory was built in the eighteenth century where once stood a ruined votive shrine. Inside is a painted terracotta attributed to Luca della Robbia.

Medici Villa Camugliano. Villa Niccolini
The villa was built by Duke Alessandro de’ Medici and completed in 1533, in concomitance with the San Filippo Oratory that is also part of the estate and holds a bust of Saint Filippo probably sculpted by Donatello. In 1637, Marquis Filippo Niccolini took possession of the beautiful villa and added a double-ramp stairway and an English garden. Also of note is the large statue by the flowerbed at the entrance representing Hercules killing Hydra, by Giovanni Bandini, one of the most talented students of Baccio Bandinelli.

/

Food and wine

Olive oil
An important resource for Ponsacco is the cultivation of olives, in particular the Leccino and Frantoio variety that deliver a fruity and markedly low acidity oil.

Wine
The town is part of The Wine Route of Pisan Hills.

/

Activities for visitors

Poggini Area
Area that can be easily walked or cycled.

/

Camper area