The Archaeological Museum was inaugurated in 2004 to preserve the numerous artefacts found in the Etruscan archeo site of Ortaglia, a few km far from Peccioli.
Votive objects and parts of a building came to light from a pit 10 meters deep and 4 meters wide. Due to the size and the kind of decoration, these ruins made archaeologists think of something similar to a sanctuary dedicated to a female deity. Top of the range of the collection is a red-figure Attic kylix, certainly attributable to the famous Greek painter Makron, working in Athens around 490 – 480 B.C.
The Archaeological Museum is housed in a suggestive location, in a tunnel system still recently used as wine cellars, but which in ancient times probably contained underground tombs. In the new location other exhibits have been added: the grave goods from the Etruscan tomb of Legoli (excavation of 1930), a big loutérion (a basin for ablutions), as well as a series of materials relating to nocturnal cults, linked to a divinity similar to the Greek Demeter.
The materials found during the excavations on the site of Saint Mustiola (near Ghizzano) were added to the Etruscan collection from the Ortaglia site. The grave goods, consisting of a headgear, a ring and a belt, are dated between the 13th and 14th centuries. In Italy they represent a rare example of objects of this kind, especially if we consider the big amount of decorative elements that make up the belt. The objects and the anthropological study of the buried bones have allowed us to outline some aspects of the life of the deceased.