The Tenuta di Coltano, within the Migliarino, San Rossore and Massaciuccoli Park, occupies a vast area of flat land, originally a vast swamp that extended almost to the town of Pisa. Significant remains of human settlements from the prehistoric period and noteworthy from the Roman period.
In the medieval period the further “swamping” significantly reduced the human presence in Coltano. Only since the fifteenth century, thanks to the Medici family, a process of unified management of the territory started, until then split into private and ecclesial properties. With the Medici, and subsequently with the Lorena family, important hydraulic interventions were started to resolve the land swamping.
The Tenuta di Coltano then became one of the hunting estates of the King and his family with the Unity of Italy. In 1911, Guglielmo Marconi installed the famous Radiotelegraphic Station not far from the Medici Palace, in order to connect Rome to the Italian colonies and European countries.
Still today, the Villa Medicea is the center of the estate, the starting point for an overall knowledge of the Park territory from a naturalistic, historical and environmental point of view with an important Environmental Education Center.
For more information contact the Visitor Center at the following numbers: 050/530101 – 050/533755.
Below are the most important trails on the estate.