Summer openings of the Camaldolese Abbey | Volterra
01/07/2023 - 31/08/2023
ore: 10:00 - 19:30
Centro storico Volterra
centro, piazze e luoghi limitrofi
Every weekend from 1 July to 31 August, it is possible to visit the Camaldolese Abbey, the monastery founded in 1030 by the Bishop of Volterra Gunfredo, entrusted first to the care of the Benedictine monks and then, in 1820, to the Camaldolese, who abandoned it in 1861 due to the gradual approach of the Balze.
The building is divided into two distinct structures:
– The Church: the remains date back to Romanesque times and is dedicated to the patron saints of Volterra, Giusto and Clemente;
– The main building with the Cloister, the Refectory and the Monks’ Quarters. Building restored around 1500 to a design by Leon Battista Alberti and frescoed by painters such as Giotto, Botticelli and Ghirlandaio.