The origins of the Volterra Art Gallery (Pinacoteca) date back to 1842 when Luigi Fedra Inghirami, worker in the Cathedral, began to collect works of art from disused churches and monasteries in and around Volterra. In 1905 a municipal art gallery was arranged on the second floor of the Palazzo dei Priori. The more significant works of art from the Chapel of San Carlo, near the Cathedral, were exhibited with other pieces belonging to the city council.
Since 1982 the Art Gallery or Pinacoteca has been housed at Palazzo Minucci-Solaini, a splendid example of late 15th century architecture attributed to Antonio San Gallo the Elder. Today the Art Gallery is complemented by the Civic Museum, which exhibits important works of art belonging to institutions no longer able to provide them adequate care.
The Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino is the most significant work from the collection. Other important works are the paintings by Taddeo di Bartolo, Alvaro Pirez and Cenni di Francesco, two wooden sculptures by Francesco di Valdambrino, an altar piece by Domenico Ghirlandaio, the “Cribs” by Pieter De Witte, the Holy Conversation and the Annunciation by Luca Signorelli. There is also a noteworthy collection of medieval sculpture and ceramics, of medals and coins.
The Art Gallery organizes conferences, seminars and temporary exhibitions. Didactic activity offers guided tours of the museum for students.