+39 0587 731148
The church of San Frediano is under the management of the Parish of Ponsacco and is maintained by a prayer group.
Sunday Holy Mass is celebrated there (except in August).
The small church of San Frediano is located in Camugliano, a fraction of Ponsacco.
This is a parish church, the construction of which – commissioned by Marquis Matteo Botti – dates back to 1586. Numerous restorations were carried out, especially during the 18th century.
Moreover, historical documents report that during a trip to Volterra in 1857, Pope Pius IX, a guest in the nearby villa of Camugliano, elevated the church from the rank of priory to that of propositura.
On the outside we notice the three-arched portico, under which stands the statue of the Immaculate Madonna (1954). On the right is the bell tower, followed by the sacristy, rebuilt in 1760.
The interior is simple, with a single nave and two side altars. Above the high altar, however, we notice the Madonna Enthroned with the Child Jesus between St. Frediano and St. Peter, by Agnolo Bronzino.