In the late Middle Ages, the present building belonged to the family Dell’Agnello, one of the most important families of Pisa, who lived in two separate tower houses side by side. In 1356 they decided to join them. The result of this work was declared by contemporary sources as being a very fine building and palazzo ideal for the political status of this family who ruled Pisa in 1364 until the capitulation under Florence.
The exterior blue color of the building dates back to the second half of the 18th century, probably to satisfy the taste of some Russian guests from Saint Petersburg who stayed here from 1773.
Palazzo Blu displays the collection of the Pisa Foundation which has bought many works of art. Several donations from local collectors and artists were later added to this nucleus, increasing the cultural value of the collection, consisting in paintings of historical and artistic interest. Canvasses by the most important 17th century Pisan artists, such Orazio and Artemisia Gentileschi, as well as works by “Macchiaioli”artists such as Luigi Gioli and sculptures by Nino Pisano and Tribolo.
Another important acquisition was the Ottavio Simoneschi collection of paintings, coins, ceramics and antique furniture. The collection, that presents a panorama of Pisan and Tuscan art from the 14th century to the present day. The long history of this building has been retrieved thanks to refined restoration work and the arrangement of some rooms as they once were, keeping the original furniture.
Palazzo Blu is the venue of the most important cultural events and temporary exhibitions.