Despite being a small village, Montefoscoli offers two unmissable occasions for a visit, namely the Temple of Minerva Medica and the Museum of Agricultural Civilization. The latter, established in 1996, is a permanent exhibition housed in a building dating from the year 1000, purchased in the 16th century by the noble Pisan family Vaccà Berlinghieri. The building was subsequently converted into a farm and renamed Palazzetto Filippeschi. Maintenance work carried out in the basement brought to light a medieval underground passage that connected the house to the Castle of Montefoscoli, situated at the summit of the village. Following the discovery the local population found a large number of agricultural implements between the courtyard and the basement of the palace, took them to various farmhouses in the Valdera and had them restored. The most significant of which are the oil jar store, the grain store, the plough collection, the oil mill and the blacksmith’s forge. The museum is managed by the Montefoscoli Cultural Promotion Committee, which every year, organizes the Festival of Agricultural Civilization, offering a visit to the museum and an exhibition dedicated to the old trades, old and modern weapons and craft products. Visitors are also offered the opportunity to taste local wines and products.
More info about opening times, guided visits and tickets : see below