Attractions

Fauglia | San Regolo

San Regolo had a past linked to the wars between Pisa and Florence. Its castle was in fact a military fortress, also mentioned by Pope Alexander II in 1178, with a square plan and protected by a double and imposing wall. In the centre it had a cistern for water and was equipped with grain stores. It had three towers: one at Poggio alla Guardia, one at Postignano, and the third at al Merlo.

San Regolo was the scene of an important battle between the Pisans and the Florentines. After decades of dispute, on 20 May 1498 Florentine soldiers left the castle en masse to attack a contingent of Pisan soldiers returning from Maremma. At Malacoda, the Florentines were defeated after a long and bloody battle by the Pisan and Venetian troops commanded by Tommaso Zeno. Pisa celebrated this important victory for a long time, so much so that Machiavelli himself called it ‘the rout of San Regolo‘. Only in 1509 was the fortress with its towers dismantled in revenge by the Florentines.

Today, San Regolo is a typically agricultural hamlet in the heart of the Pisan Hills with a beautiful landscape of cypress trees, olive groves and vineyards. The Medici themselves owned a farm here, which later passed on to various noble families.

Ti è stato utile?