Between 1217 and 1223, the German Emperor Frederick II built a fortress (Rocca) to complete the fortified complex, which over the centuries had become the symbol of the city. Also used as a place of detention for political prisoners, the fortress maintained its function until 1530. Mined and completely destroyed by the Nazi troops in 1944, it was faithfully rebuilt in 1958.
The tower was 37 meters high and crowned by cylindrical columns of brick in imitation of the pinnacles of the bell towers in Sicily. These characteristics and the ogival blind arches possibly indicate that a team of Sicilian craftsmen was directly involved in the construction of the tower.
From its top one can enjoy an extraordinary view extending from San Miniato old town until the hills of Volterra, the Apennines Mountains, the sea. The Rocca Federiciana is part of the San Miniato Museum System