The Museum of Pathological Anatomy was founded around 1870 as a collection of anatomical pieces of pathological and educational interest taken from cadavers and placed in glass jars blown. It houses an important collection of human and animal pathological pieces of great scientific value, some of which date back to the Grand Ducal era.
Considering the dates of the beginning of the collections, much of the material has historical interest, as well as pathological and educational, and includes rare specimens.
A section dedicated to forensic finds, donated by the Department of Forensic Medicine of the University of Pisa, and a section dedicated to paleopathology, with a rich collection of paleopathological finds illustrating various bone pathologies in ancient human skeletal remains, from the Etruscan period to the Middle Ages, fruit of the research activity of the Paleopathology Division, have been recently added. A pre-Columbian mummy is part of this last section, which is a find of great interest and attraction for the public.
The Museo di Anatomia Patologica is part of the Museum System of the University of Pisa.