Address: Largo Parlascio 14
Ufficio Informazioni Turistiche
It is the only Roman monument preserved in Pisa. In the Middle Ages it was erroneously called Terme di Nerone, hence the name Bagni di Nerone.
The remains, below street level, are located in Largo del Parlascio, from the name of the Longobard defensive structure later destroyed. For them, it meant a place for fighting bears, near the gate called “Porta a Lucca”, opened in 1546 and decorated with a double frame in sandstone. The two small gates on either side of the main one were opened for pedestrian traffic when the city’s tramway system passed through the gate.
This is a Roman thermal building (1st century AD under Emperor Domiziano). The square structure outside and octagonal inside, which retains the four perimeter walls in brick, has been identified as the laconicum, for the hot air baths. Are then visible the remains of the walls of the gymnasium, the apodyterium (the locker room) and only two walls of the tiepidarium.
The population went to the Roman baths almost every day for hygienic reasons. The baths were fed by the Roman aqueduct Caldaccoli, of the same century, now visible in part near San Giuliano Terme, where he began his journey. Nero’s involvement in the construction of the baths cannot have taken place, because the thermal complex is dated after the emperor’s death.
Next to the so-called ‘Bagni di Nerone’ is the church of San Torpé. The religious building is attested since the 13th century and belongs to the Carmelite friars. The Church, widely restored in the 18th century, since 1260 keeps inside the high altar, in a silver bust, the head of the saint, one of the Patrons of the city.