The museum is housed in the rooms of the old Benedictine convent of S. Matteo in Soarta (11th century) very little of which remains after alterations and restoration after the last war. The transformation into a museum and restoration of the building took place in 1949.
The museum contains the largest collection of works of art in Pisa. It has a remarkable store of medieval pottery, basically ceramic basins from around the Mediterranean and medieval and modern crockery, found during excavations in Pisa
There are several precious jewels and a selection of medieval coins and seals from the Franceschi and Supino collections. The important section with illuminated codices contains examples from the 12th to the 14th centuries, remarkably rich in illuminations. There are stone statues dating from the middle ages to the 16th century, in particular, fine examples of Romanesque sculptures and masterpieces by Nicola Pisano e Donatello. There is also a collection of wooden sculptures and relevant paintings with over two hundred works ranging from the very early 1200s to the modern age, by important artists such as Giunta Pisano, Berlinghiero, Simone Martini and Masaccio, to name but a few.
Entrance only upon reservation, with limited number of 15 people.
Entrance for organized groups up to 20 people and the guide