The Museo della Grafica (Graphics Art) has been housed since 2007 at Palazzo Lanfranchi, on the riversides, showing painted wall decorations from the Middle Ages as a memory of one of the noblest Pisan families: the Lanfranchi. The Museo contains one of the most important public collections of contemporary prints and engravings, the nucleus of which was the previous Pisa University “Gabinetto Disegni e Stampe” founded in 1957 by Carlo Ludovico Ragghianti.
Gifts from artists and donations from scholarly collectors, suchas the scientist and historian of sciences Sebastiano Timpanaro and the historian-art critic Giulio Carlo Argan, the engravings and drawings are a valuable and rare treasure, enhanced in 1967 by the Calcografia Nazionale’s bestowal in perpetual storage of a consistent number of engravings. Finally, the documents sector with thousands of documents, leaflets, brochures, testimonies and tributes from artists connected in various ways with this institution, also keeps a substantial corpus of analogical and digital photographs.
The Museum also hosts temporary exhibitions