The collection of the Gipsoteca of Ancient Art, among the first in Italy (1887), composed of plaster casts made for study purposes, offers a synthesis of the best known and most significant works of Greek, Etruscan and Roman art, alongside faithful reproductions of works preserved in different national and foreign museums or reconstructions made at the University of Pisa.
The collection is flanked by the Antiquarium of Archaeology, a heterogeneous collection of about 1500 original pieces in which almost all classes of artifacts of antiquity are represented: ceramic productions, painted Attic vases from the Hellenistic period, tableware and kitchenware from the Roman period, architectural and votive terracottas, metal and glass or stone artifacts.
The Gipsoteca also houses the Palethnological Collections that originate from the collection of findings of the Pisan doctor Carlo Regnoli, who in 1867 carried out the first excavations in the caves of Versilia and Mount Pisano. To these have been added materials from excavations in various Italian regions, from the Paleolithic to the Bronze Age.
The Gipsoteca is hosted in the Romanesque Church of San Paolo all’Orto, and is the location of conferences, seminars, concerts and book presentations.
It is part of the Museum System of the University of Pisa.