Fauglia | Luciana

Like Fauglia, Luciana was also submerged by the sea in the Pleistocene. Numerous shell fossils have been found, including sperm whale bones. Human presence is testified by finds from the Bronze Age. No certain traces have survived from the Etruscan period except for a funerary cippus in the former Villa Ciano in San Regolo.

Tradition traces its origins back to the ancient Luci family, Roman settlers who owned these lands. The earliest records date back to the Middle Ages. In modern times, following the Lorraine reforms in 1776, Luciana was included in the chancellery of Lari. The village was devastated by a violent earthquake in 1846. The parish church of Santa Lucia was built in 1740 on a pre-existing building of medieval origin, which depended on the former parish church of Scontriano (suppressed in the 16th century). The church, formerly with a single nave, did not have the current chapels and side altars as well as the valuable marble high altar. The earthquake rendered the church, rectory and bell tower unserviceable. In addition to the chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, it preserves two 17th-century works attributed to the school of Pietro da Cortona, while the apse is adorned with a 19th-century cycle of decorations with St Lucy at the centre. Not far from the parish church is the Church of the Compagnia, in the shape of a Latin cross. It was run by the Compagnia della SS Corpo di Cristo e di San Sebastiano, an association that met here to celebrate their masses and bury their dead. After the First World War, the building was abandoned, and later used as a cinema and theatre, before being abandoned again.

Of interest are the villas in the village, such as Villa Giustiniani and Villa Melenchini (formerly Rosselmini), which were also severely damaged by the earthquake, and in whose garden are many landmarks of the nearby Via Emilia Scauri. The tomb of the Melenchini family is located in the chapel.

Ti è stato utile?