/

DESCRIZIONE

The Abbey of San Salvatore and the Abbey of San Quirico were built in a setting characterised by dense woods that made them an ideal environment for cenobitic and hermitic life. The two abbeys derive their origin from two separate monasteries that stood on a site formerly known as Moxi. Both were built around the year 1000 and both belonged to the priory of San Donnino in Pisa, but had to be abandoned by the monks in the 14th century. Today, the ruins of the Abbey of San Quirico have disappeared under the vegetation, while that of San Salvatore still retains parts of the walls of the ancient church, built with large square stones and strips of white marble with roughly sculpted capitals. Today, the name Le Badie identifies a small village along the Via Emilia, about 3 km from Castellina Marittima



Ti è stato utile?
Resta aggiornato!